M.Sofiev has worked in the field of atmospheric physics and chemistry concentrating on development and application of the Eulerian and Lagrangian air pollution models for meso-to-global scales in the troposphere and the stratosphere, as well as operational air quality and accidental release dispersion forecasting. He is the coordinator of development of System for Integrasted modeLling of Atmospheric coMposition (SILAM). Specific areas of interest include model development, verification and comparison with measurements, data assimilation, statistical methodology for model validation, analysis of the measurement data, inverse and adjoint dispersion modeling, computer experiments, etc. Compounds of interest are: acidifying and toxic pollutants, ozone, radioactive and biological species, atmospheric aerosols. M.Sofiev is a supervisor of 14 academic theses (MSc & PhD, 8 completed).
- CarboNord (2014-2016) Impact of black carbon on air quality and climate in Northern Europe and Arctic. Nordic Ministry of Research.
- Project leader MACC-III (2014-2015) Monitoring of Atmopsheric Composition and Climate III. EU-FP7
- WP leader MarcoPolo (2013-2015). Monitoring and Assessment of Regional air quality in China using space Observations, Project Of Long-term sino-european co-Operation. EU FP-7, Task leader.
- APTA (2013-2016). The Influence of Air Pollution, Pollen and Ambient Temperature on Asthma and Allergies in Changing Climate. Academy of Finland. WP leader.
- A4 (2012-2015). Arctic Absorbing Aerosols and Albedo of Snow. Academy of Finland. WP leader.
- ASTREX (2011-2014) Advanced Analysys of Stratosphere-Troposphere Exchange. Academy of Finland. Project leader.
- VAST (2012-2014) Volcanic Ash Strategic-‐initiative Team. ESA. FMI team leader.
- GlobEmission (2012-2013) GlobEmission Service Development of the Data User Element programme of ESA. ESA. WP leader.
- ATILA (2012-2015) Atmospheric Impact of Launchers. ESA. FMI team leader.
University and other degrees
- Adjunct Professor, University of Helsinki, 2007
- Doctor, Institute of Program Systems, Russian Academy, 1994
- M. Sc., Applied mathematics and physics, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, 1990
Other professional activities
- Board Member of European Aeroallergen Network Member of International Biometeorological Society, European Aerobiological Society, European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology. Member of Emergency Response team of Finnish Meteorological Institute Reviewer of scientific manuscripts in 12 journals
List of publications
M.Sofiev is the author of 181 scientific publications; 95 of these have been published in refereed journals and books. He has given over 300 lectures and presentations at scientific and application conferences./documents/30106/113022/sofiev_publication_list_201502.pdf/f608318f-8cb3-4292-aee7-70a191d085ea